If you love Faversham, join us. We seek to Cherish the Past, Adorn the Present, Create for the Future

Norman and Early Medieval

1086
William the Conquerer’s Domesday Book recorded that Faversham was a royal manor, with a market and two salt-houses.

The entry for Faversham roughly translates as "In Faversham Hundred King William holds Faversham. It answers for 7 sulungs. Land for 17 ploughs. In lordship 2. 30 villagers with 40 smallholders have 24 ploughs. 5 slaves; a mill at 20s; meadow, 2 acres; woodland, 100 pigs from woodland pasture, 31s 2d; A market at £4"

Approx. 1100
Faversham’s parish church was rebuilt in Romanesque style, with an aisled nave and central tower.

1148
Faversham Abbey, with a huge church intended as a royal mausoleum, was founded by King Stephen and Queen Matilda.

1153
Davington Priory, a nunnery with a Romanesque church, was founded by Fulke of Newnham, near Faversham.

1234
The Maison Dieu was founded at Ospringe, to serve as a royal lodge, pilgrims’ hostel and home for retired members of the royal household. Now looked after by English Heritage, it is managed by the Maison Dieu Museum Trust. Visit their website for opening times: Maison Dieu Museum Trust

1252 & 1262
Faversham’s first two surviving charters gave it powers of self-government and independence from the rest of Kent.

Registered Charity  Number 1135262 - Company No 07112241
The Faversham Society - Registered Address: 10-13 Preston Street, Faversham, Kent ME13 8NS
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram