William the Conquerer’s Domesday Book recorded that Faversham was a royal manor, with a market and two salt-houses.
The entry for Faversham roughly translates as "In Faversham Hundred King William holds Faversham. It answers for 7 sulungs. Land for 17 ploughs. In lordship 2. 30 villagers with 40 smallholders have 24 ploughs. 5 slaves; a mill at 20s; meadow, 2 acres; woodland, 100 pigs from woodland pasture, 31s 2d; A market at £4"
Faversham’s parish church was rebuilt in Romanesque style, with an aisled nave and central tower.
Faversham Abbey, with a huge church intended as a royal mausoleum, was founded by King Stephen and Queen Matilda.
Davington Priory, a nunnery with a Romanesque church, was founded by Fulke of Newnham, near Faversham.
The Maison Dieu was founded at Ospringe, to serve as a royal lodge, pilgrims’ hostel and home for retired members of the royal household. Now looked after by English Heritage, it is managed by the Maison Dieu Museum Trust. Visit their website for opening times: Maison Dieu Museum Trust
1252 & 1262
Faversham’s first two surviving charters gave it powers of self-government and independence from the rest of Kent.